Since 2008, I have trained advanced court reporting students and newly licensed California Certified Shorthand Reporters (CSRs) in the art and science of capturing and protecting the record at hundreds of apprenticeships, in collaboration with law firm administrators, law and high school professors, litigators, attorney associations, courthouses, and private venues.
My apprentices have assisted hundreds of high school and law students and lawyers to be more cognizant of the record they are making at mock depositions and trials online and throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley.
- Mock depositions and trials of 2L & 3L law students at UC BerkeleyLaw, fall/spring semesters, Berkeley
- Mock depositions at John F. Kennedy University College of Law, Pleasant Hill
- Mock depositions at U.C. Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco
- Mock trial annual national competition of 16 law schools at Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco
- Mock expert depositions for Cornerstone Research, San Francisco
- Mock trial annual competition of 4 Bay Area law schools by San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, San Francisco
- Mock trials at Circle of Independent Learning Charter School, Fremont
- Mock trials at Alameda Community Learning Center, Alameda
- Mock deposition workshops for junior and senior associates at Cooley LLP, Palo Alto
- Mock deposition skills training for 2nd year associates at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Palo Alto
These collaborations offer fundamental practical skills experiences for all participants:
- As required by the Court Reporters Board of California, “the fundamental duty of a court reporter is to protect the record, including interrupting if the accuracy of the record is jeopardized.” Apprentices must interrupt as often as needed, thus providing a solemn “reality check” to students and lawyers that their spoken words are being captured and transcribed.
- Apprentices later produce rough drafts or final transcripts of the proceedings – useful tools for all other participants to improve their performances questioning and defending witnesses as attorneys of record.
As a result of my work, students dubbed me Mock Woman. I loved it and bought the domain!